Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Review: First Aid Beauty (FAB) Ultra Repair Cream

Originally I had planned to review the Skin79 BB cream that I bought earlier in the year, but with the Sephora Friends & Family lurking around in October, I figured I'll review the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream first instead.

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream (picture from Sephora)

When I bought the FAB set 2 year ago, frankly I was not impress. Originally I had hoped that the "intense therapy" of the cream will help me through the harsh dry winter, but it failed to do any more hydrating than my Aveeno Body Lotion. Needless to say it was sitting around my vanity nearly untouched.

A few weeks ago, I took it out and gave it a try again. My dad was hospitalized for a couple of days a few weeks ago. Either it was from the stress of worrying or I must have contaminated something on my face, my skin went bonkers! I wasn't exactly breaking out, but there were many clogged pores. My skin was irritated, itchy and patchy to the point where my face was just peeling and flaky. T_T I was so devastated! I was afraid to use any serums or my usual brightening moisturizers for fear it would only make the situation worse. But I can't just "let it be"!! So remembering the "relieve minor irritation" part of this cream, I whipped this out from the bottom of my vanity drawer and decided to give it a try.

And guess what? My prayers were answered! The first night, I applied it right before I went to bed. And the next day, I woke up to super hydrated skin! The flaky and itchiness was all gone. The dried patches were still there, but you can clearly see that my skin was healing. After a few days, my skin was back to it's old self. Enlarged pores were gone! Can't even see any of those clogged pores that was visible the prior week. Skin just looks and feels saturated (literally!).

Let's go through my usual review bullets:

First Aid Beauty (FAB) Ultra Repair Cream Facts



  • Packaging - Comes in 3 different sizes (2oz., 6oz. and 12oz) in a boring plastic tub for the larger two containers. I hate that it's in a tub. It feels so unsanitary to constantly dig your fingers into it.
  • Size - 6oz
  • Price - $28 for the 6oz. It'd be a pricey body lotion
  • Specifications - Provide super intense hydration and relieves minor irritation due to various skin conditions including eczema. Use for both face & body
  • Directions - Apply whenever/wherever needed
  • Ingredients - Key ingredients are colloidal oatmeal (that's also the same ingredient for Aveeno's oatmeal lotion), ceramides (one of the 3 lipids that make up the outer barrier of the skin) and their very own secret Antioxidant Booster (whatever that means ^_^;; )
Can you see the lightweight texture?

First Aid Beauty (FAB) Ultra Repair Cream Review

  • Scent - Supposedly unscented but it does have a light fragrance in a medical cream/ointment kind-of-way. Definitely NOT a pleasant smell, but bearable.
  • Essence - This "cream" is not heavy in texture at all. Texture is almost the same as whip cream! Nice and fluffy and is truly non-greasy. But it does feel heavy on the skin.
  • How I Use It - I usually scoop up the cream w/ my clean ring finger. Don't like the tub much, so I only dig in once every application. Used both day and night for a few days straight.
  • Overall Experience - Originally bought it as a body lotion for the winter, but it wasn't too impressive. It works so much better on my face! I think this would be great for those who have skin irritations and in need of keeping their skin hydrated. I did stop scratching and picking at my face after applying, but then again, I always do when I have something on. Despite it's lightweight texture, when applied, you feel it ON your skin. It's definitely a heavy cream, but that's OK if used as a night cream. I used it during the day under my mineral makeup and didn't have any problems with it. It didn't look or feel greasy under my foundation throughout the day. Will I be repurchasing? Absolutely! But I think it'll be more of my secret weapon against evil skin problems then for regular daily use. It doesn't contain any of the cool stuff like anti-aging and brightening effects I'm looking for in a moisturizer.
Hope this helps! I'm already adding their product sets to my Sephora shopping list. Getting ready for the sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...